This week, I wanted to focus on option
3. I do so because I think that the
content of this course and my own conception of the learning cycle meet in this
option.
I am of the class of thought that a lot
of schools are missing the chance at true learning. I think that so many schools focus on rote
memorization and regurgitation, which Sheninger points out, comes from a bygone
age of industrialization and don’t spend very much time at all on things that
are important today like how to collaborate, use of technology, research, and
critical thinking.
I am really grateful to this course for
opening my eyes to see how tech can really open up learning and make it
portable (as in handheld devices). I
have been thoroughly impressed with the new understandings I have about Google
apps; which I have used in the past; but never considered their fuller
applications in education.
EdTech leaders should use the Google
App Suite for the learning cycle. We
must empower kids learn to be resourceful by having them to research
projects. We also can teach them that
the first attempt is not always the best, and you can always go back to the
drawing board and rethink what you’ve created.
By allowing for guided research, kids
construct their knowledge. They can use
a Google Docs to do this, just as we are in this class. In that same vein, students then collaborate
on work and share the Doc with peers and with their teacher who gives feedback
in the form of stories, experiences, critique, and more resources to check into.
Teachers can have kids review the
feedback then share their takeaways to make sure that A) there are no gaps in
knowledge, B) there are no misconceptions, and C) that the enduring
understanding is grasped solidly. Doing
this also allows for a culture that normalizes error and one that gets better
too (just like in the real world!).
Lastly, the final project can be posted
for peer review. Teachers can create
rubrics for students to do an observation and critique. This builds even more
critical thinking skills and stimulates learning. After all – everyone loves to
give an opinion and sound smart!
That’s all for now – buenas noches!
References
Lemov,
D. (2010). Teach like a champion: 49 techniques that put students on the
path to college. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Sheninger, E. C. (2014). Digital
leadership: Changing paradigms for changing times.
Andrew,
ReplyDeleteI too agree that taking this course is a wake-up call for me to obtain a more profound understanding and knowledge of the various methods and techniques in which we can utilize technological tools and applications in teaching and learning. You are correct that it is time for educational leaders and educational policymakers realize that dwelling solely on the traditional methods of teaching is inadequately preparing our children for globally competitive careers and economic sustainability. We are expected to prepare our children to be 21st century thinkers and problem-solvers as we use tools and resources that are almost obsolete. Furthermore, several educators and school leaders are not risk-takers and as a result, they are reluctant to conform to the necessary changes and development which are needed to transform their schools into 21st century institutions of learning, in which collaborative work, staff support and feedback, and discovery and exploration are occurring (Sheninger, 2014).
In addition, school leaders should encourage and provide professional development activities and programs such as online courses in technology such as this course, to enable their staff members to obtain the necessary knowledge and skills to support, facilitate, and enhance student learning. Participating in professional development activities such as individual studies, action research, workshops, webinars, conferences, online graduate studies, and others, can enable teachers to improve their skills as well as develop new skills to better provide instruction and other services to their students and to their school community in general (Egbert, 2009).
As technology evolves, the future roles of teachers will transform from the traditional information-givers to more of a guide, co-learner, co-mentor, and facilitator. Finally, teachers will consider the needs of diverse learners such as English language learners, and will obtain the necessary tools and resources to address their academic, linguistic, and social needs (Egbert, 2009).
It was great interacting with you through these discussion boards in this course, and may God continue to bless you and your family in all your future endeavors.
Thora
Egbert, J. (2009). Supporting learning with technology: essentials of classroom practices. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
Sheninger, E. C. (2014). Digital leadership: changing paradigms for changing times. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin
I appreciate your thoughts on this subject, Thora! Due to the advances in technology, our world is becoming smaller in some ways. At one time, we may never have imagined turning on a computer and "visiting" with someone on another continent. Now, we can do this easily in real-time. In many respects, the future is here, and our students, teachers, and leaders must be ready for it.
DeleteHi Andrew,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, let me say that I totally agree with what you posted. I agree that some schools have not embraced the meaning of true learning. Most of the educators that teach and that are leaders of school know theories of learning; however they still force students to memorize information. Great education physiologist believe that student learn best through experiencing things. By students experience or can build on their experiences then this is more meaning learning for the students. I remember when I was in high school and I had to remember something for a test. I always just remembered the information just for the test and by the end of the test I forgot everything.
I also agree with you that technology really open up learning. Technology allows students to experience and interact with the teacher’s lessons. I am just like you this class has exposed me to technology and software that I would not have used or would not have thought to use in the classroom. Many of my students would love to use some of the technology that I have learned to use this term. One thing that I will be using, that I did not think of before, is the Google Docs for group assignments. This keeps everyone accountable for their part for group assignments. And I like what you said about guided research constructs students’ knowledge. With Google Docs teachers can guide the students in the direction they need to go within the assignment. Just as you said, teachers will also be able to give the students as a whole or individually feedback on their part of the assignment. The one thing that I liked about Google Docs is once someone posted a comment on the document or made a correction it sent out an e-mail to everyone.
Hi Andrew,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post and agree that the schools are not as innovative as they could be. Common Core Standards and high stakes testing jeopardize authentic learning. We are fortunate to be in a time where technology can be used to offer teachers and students a way to be innovative.
I also agree that google docs is a great tool to use for both students and teachers. As it allows for accountability and real time feed back.
Thanks for sharing and have a great week :)
I love your thoughts on using Google Docs, Andrew! Check out "Google Apps for Education" (GAFE) if you haven't already. It's free to schools, as Google says, the data remains private." --A big issue with respect to COPPA. Microsoft also offers a great product. Are you familiar with OneNote? See what you think about some of their resources at http://www.educatornetwork.com/resources/tools.
ReplyDelete