Script:
Hey everybody! My name is Andrew Ferris I am reporting from my office in Youngsville, NC which is right above Raleigh, NC. I am getting my master in Educational Leadership, I'm at the very end of this - so I am actually in my last course and I actually walked across the stage last weekend at Liberty for that commencement ceremony that they had. So, I'm at the very end of my degree. But, I'm actually at the very beginning of my educational professional career.
This is my first year that I'm ending - teaching. I teach at a public charter school in Henderson, NC where we have students that are about 90-95% on free or reduced lunch. And the school is just doing some really amazing things with those kids as far as test goes; as far as scores. It's a college prep school based off of KIPP and Uncommon School models. It's a very rigorous environment, pushing those kids to do some amazing things. We're 100% growth every year [on EOGs/EOCs] and we got a B on our last State report card; hoping to get an A this year. So, pretty cool things going on there.
With my degree, I'm hoping to transition slowly into maybe grade level chair or instructional coaching. Then moving on to administration or even opening my own school, or even later on down the line, teaching at a university. That's something I'd really enjoy.
The verse that I really think, that has been my verse for many years as far as teaching goes, because I used to pastor as well, is 1 Timothy 1:5 which says: "Now the goal of our instruction is to love from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and a sincere faith." I think that really just captures everything that I think education ought to be; whether inside the Church or outside. Teaching people and leading people towards Christ Jesus, and that pure faith and love that He has for us, with a sound mind, and a faith that doesn't fail because we have the knowledge to support your beliefs and that element of risk; that faith that just believes because it needs to believe.
My interests, I am interested in my wife, I love my wife. We've been married for four years. We just celebrated that in late January. Her name is Liz. We've got two dogs - chugs - Chihuahua-Pugs. We both like to sing and play music at church together. I play guitar, drums, bass and sing background. She leads or sings background. Lots of stuff like that. I like to translate. I like to do all sorts of nerdy, geeky, study things.
Out of this course, I would like to expand my knowledge about technology in the classroom and really learn some meaningful things that I can bring that will push kids to learn Spanish better. Which - I don't remember if I said - that is what I teach.
So, it was nice to meet you and I look forward to working with all of you.
Goodnight.

Hi Andrew!
ReplyDeleteFirst things first...congratulations on participating in the commencement! I am sure that was an awesome experience. It must have felt incredible walking across that stage! I have never been to Liberty University. Was that your first time? I wanted to go, but it did not work out like I had hoped. I had my dental hygiene students' pinning ceremony and gave out two awards. I did not want to miss out on their special day that they had worked so diligently toward. As a dental hygiene instructor, you tend to develop close relationships with students because of the nature of the program. I also wanted to see them because that was my last opportunity.
You mentioned that you work at a public charter school in North Carolina. I was going to ask you what you taught, or what you would want to teach at a university, but you answered that at the end. How is it? What do you find to be the best aspect of working there? I just completed a class where we had to do a project proposal and mine was on the establishment of a child development center. I really would like to see one in my area because it is desperately needed. However, I am perfectly content with my current job where I hope to become department chair in the future. As for short term goals, I would love to move from adjunct to full-time. I feel that I still have a lot to learn in terms of teaching and leadership, but I will definitely be more equipped after earning my degree. This is my last class before my practicum and I can hardly wait for August to get here! I am married (since I am interested in my husband), have two children who are active, and am looking forward to regaining much needed and missed quality and quantity time with my family!
It sounds like we have similar goals: becoming department chair and working at a college/university. I work at a community college teaching my wonderful profession of dental hygiene. Whatever you decide, it sounds like you have great goals and I pray that you have success along the way!
Denise
Thanks for writing, Denise!
DeleteTo answer some of your question, I graduated from LU (on campus) with a B.A. in Spanish in 2005. I love that campus and if afforded the opportunity, I would live one day end up teaching at LU!
I like our school a lot as far as the mission of educational equity goes. It's a very demanding school whose principle centers on outworking everyone else. Our kids our very hard workers! Since they are, we have to work all the more - which is very tiresome and I frequently question whether the amount of work we're asked to do is completely necessary or aligned to the "mission".
The best aspect of working there is probably the amount of undaunted hope we pour into our students. We refuse to let them believe that they are capable of anything less than the best. I love how we inspire them to do more academically and with their character.
TI appreciate that you are teaching such a practical profession that carries a great deal of importance as far as knowledge and professionalism are concerned!
Congratulations on your graduation, Andy! You're almost there! I'm curious. What types of technology are you using with your students now? If you are well versed in the technologies we're using for 638, we can talk about other options. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteSadly enough, I am not using any technologies in the classroom for my kids. I actually don't have a classroom (I will next year) so I opted not to lug around all of my materials and a technology cart everyday. Also, our internet is quite poor (it will be better next year).
Now, I plan on using a few things next year (if my instructional coach is willing). I want to start using Edmodo, Duolingo, Google Drive, and Blogger to enhance kid's Spanish abilities and collaboration.
From this course, I am already learning that I want to use Twitter. We've had some teachers start using that this year; as I learn more, I want to employ its use!